Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Thanks Jerry

I found out today that Founder of Liberty University Jerry Falwell died today at 73. I guess they found him at his desk. Maybe he died working or maybe praying. I remember the first time I met Jerry Falwell at the notorious Liberty University, (go flames) that I remember thinking this guy seems pretty cool. He always had time to talk to students as he walked around in his suit and tie. Interestingly enough he always thought the music and clothes we wore was ok and never had an issue with it. He was a traditionalist in every sense of the word but never a legalist. He had a funny habit of seeing you walking around campus as he was driving and he would swerve at you with his huge black SUV. I remember hearing him in chapel, He loved the Lord. He loved his family and He loved his school.

He has for obvious reasons not been very popular with people who are against what he stands for and I guess he has rubbed people the wrong way in "blurting out" what he thought. He was always judged for that, but always managed to apologize if needed. He was anice guy, a true evangelist in every sense of the world.

The years I spent at Liberty was in my opinion some of the best times in my life. I met my wife there and enjoyed school. I did not know the man well, but actions speak louder than words. He has done some great things and although he has messed up, like all of us by the way, I know there is a party going on in Heaven right now, and Our Lord has welcomed a hero of the faith home, home for good....

No comments: